I started this quilt in.... April? May? Last year, and finished it last week. It took a long time, but I am so so pleased with the finished thing, and Paula is too, which is the main thing :-)
Paula chose the fabrics. I wasn't entirely sure how well they would work in a quilt to begin with; I didnt think there was enough contrasting values (lights/darks). But now that they are all pieced together I think they look fab!! A shabby-chic kinda thing...
The blocks are all 12" finished, a random assortment of ones I liked while browsing t'interweb. Some are from the Summer Sampler QAL, some from the Bloggers Block-a-Palooza, some from a quilt block app I have on my iPhone, and some from Modify Tradition.
I sashed with 3" finished white strips, and used one of the aqua fabrics from the top for cornerstones. The cornerstones were definitely a good idea, they give the eye a place to rest, and tie together the whole top.
Its backed in a plain aqua sheet, and bound with a pink Michael Miller print which I've forgotten the name of... Error...
Because it was so huge, I decided to do my standard FMQ stipple pattern. I didn't have the energy, or strength, in the end, to do anything different. I'm also pretty good at FMQ now, I've got the hands vs machine speed pretty much down, and don't seem to have many tension issues these days. Also, I didn't want to do anything fancy or new and risk screwing it up!
I think this might be my "best" quilt yet... I'm so pleased with how it turned out, proud even, and I'm so happy that it will be loved for years to come :-)
Size: approx 90" x 105"
Fabric: A selection of Tilda prints
Pattern: Traditional Sampler quilt style
Quilting: Large loopy stippling.